MD KHORSHED ALAM
MD KHORSHED ALAM
Khorshed has worked in the leprosy field since 1989 and has more than 20 years' experience of clinical and operational research. He has managed many projects under the umbrella of The Leprosy Mission Bangladesh's Rural Health Program (RHP) and was the founding manager of the Leprosy Field Research in Bangladesh (LFRB) project. He holds a Master of Social Science degree in Sociology and Anthropology from the Asian University of Bangladesh
Phone: +880 1713362711
- Field evaluation of novel immunodiagnostic tools for early detection of leprosy in a BGC vaccination field trial among contacts of leprosy patients (INDIGO)
- Epidemiological study on contact transmission and chemoprophylaxis in leprosy (COLEP)
- Randomized controlled trial of the combined effect of chemoprophylaxis with single dose rifampicin and immunoprophylaxis with BCG to prevent leprosy in contacts of newly diagnosed leprosy cases: A cluster randomized controlled trial (MALTALEP) co-PI
- Contact Cohort study (COCOA) co-PI
- Initiatives for Diagnostic & Epidemiological Assays for Leprosy (IDEAL) co-PI
- Bangladesh Acute Nerve Damage Study (BANDS)
- Treatment of Early Neuropathy in Leprosy (TENLEP)
His work has been published in several peer reviewed journals including Vaccine, EBioMedicine, iScience, Frontiers in Immunology, International Journal of Infectious Disease, Leprosy Review & LML.
- Diet-Related Risk Factors for Leprosy: A Case- Control Study. Inge Wagenaar, Lisanne Van Muiden, Khorshed Alam, Robert Bowers, Md. Anwar Hossain, Kolpona Kispotta, Jan Hendrik Richardus. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 9(5): e0003766.
- Clinical manifestations of leprosy after BCG vaccination: An observational study in Bangladesh. Renate A. Richardus, C. Ruth Butlin, Khorshed Alam, Kallyan Kundu, Annemieke Geluk, Jan Hendrik Richardus. Vaccine 02/2015; 271(13).
- The combined effect of chemoprophylaxis with single dose rifampicin and immunoprophylaxis with BCG to prevent leprosy in contacts of newly diagnosed leprosy cases: A cluster randomized controlled trial (MALTALEP study). Renate A Richardus, Khorshed Alam, David Pahan, Sabiena G Feenstra, Annemieke Geluk, Jan H Richardus: BMC Infectious Diseases 10/2013; 13(1):456. DOI:10.1186/1471-2334-13-456
- Long-term follow-up of ROM treated cases. Khorshed Alam, C Ruth Butlin, David Pahan, Sumanto Kumar Chowdhury: Leprosy Review; 2007; 78; 2; 160
- Quantitative lateral flow strip assays as User-Friendly Tools to Detect Biomarker Profiles for Leprosy. Anouk van Hooij, Elisa M. Tjon Kon Fat, Renate A. Richardus, Susan J. F. van den Eeden, G.L. Louis Wilson, Claudia J. de Dood, Roel Faber, Khorshed Alam, Jan Hendrik Richardus, Paul Corstjens, Annemieke Geluk Sci Rep 6, 34260 (2016).
- LONGITUDINAL ASSESSMENT OF ANTI-PGL-I IGM SEROLOGY IN CONTACTS OF LEPROSY PATIENTS IN BANGLADESH Renate Richardus, Konrad van der Zwet; Anouk van Hooij, Louis Wilson, Linda Oskam, Susan van den Eeden, David Pahan, Khorshed Alam, Jan Hendrik Richardus, Annemieke Geluk. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017 Dec 11;11(12):e0006083.
- Early detection of neuropathy in leprosy: a comparison of five tests for field settings, Inge Wagenaar, Erik Post, Wim Brandsma, Dan Ziegler, Moshiur Rahman, Khorshed Alam and Jan Hendrik Richardus. Infect Dis Poverty. 2017 Sep 1;6(1):115.
- Effectiveness of 32 versus 20 weeks of prednisolone in leprosy patients with recent nerve function impairment: A randomized controlled trial. TENLEP study group. Wagenaar I, Post E, Brandsma W, Bowers B, Alam K, Shetty V, Pai V, Husain S, Sigit Prakoeswa CR, Astari L, Hagge D, Shah M, Neupane K, Tamang KB; Nicholls P, Richardus JH. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017 Oct 4;11(10):e0005952.
- Detection of Mycobacterium leprae DNA in soil; Multiple needles in the haystack? Maria Tió-Coma, Thomas Wijnands, Louise Pierneef, Anna Katarina Schilling, Korshed Alam, Johan Chandra Roy, William R Faber, Henk Menke, Toine Pieters, Karen Stevenson, Jan Hendrik Richardus, Annemieke Geluk. Sci Rep 9, 3165 (2019).
- Household contact examinations: outcome of routine surveillance in a high prevalence area. Butlin C Ruth, Nichols Peter, Bowers Bob, Singh Suren, Alam Md Khorshed, Emily Quilter Leprosy Review; 2019; 90; 3; 290-304.
- Health-Related Quality of Life amongst people affected by Erythema Nodosum Leprosum in Bangladesh: a Cross Sectional Study. BOB BOWERS, C. RUTH BUTLIN, KHORSHED ALAM, DIANA N.J. LOCKWOOD, & STEPHEN L. WALKER. Leprosy Review; 2017; 88; 4; 488-498.
- Application of new host biomarker profiles in quantitative point-of-care tests facilitates leprosy diagnosis in the field. van Hooij A, van den Eeden S, Richardus R, Tjon Kon Fat, Wilson L, Franken KLMC, Faber R, Khatun M, Alam K, Sufian Chowdhury A Richardus JH4, Corstjens P, Geluk A. EBioMedicine 49 (2019) 301-308.
- Household contacts of leprosy patients in endemic areas display a specific innate immunity profile. Anouk Van Hooij1, Maria Tió-Coma1, Els Verhard1, Marufa Khatun, Khorshed Alam, Elisa Tjon Kon Fat, Danielle de Jong, Abu Sufian Chowdhury, Paul Corstjens, Jan Hendrik Richardus and Annemieke Geluk. Front. Immunol. 11:1811.
- Geospatial epidemiology of leprosy in northwest Bangladesh: a 20-year retrospective observational study. Caroline A. Bulstra, David J. Blok, Khorshed Alam, C. Ruth Butlin,Johan Chandra Roy, Bob Bowers, Peter Nicholls, Sake J. de Vlas & Jan Hendrik Richardus Infectious Diseases of Poverty volume 10, Article number: 36 (2021)
- Delay in Leprosy Diagnosis — A multi-center, multi-country Asian study Erik Posta, Wim Brandsmab, Inge Wagenaarc, Khorshed Alamd, Vanaja Shettye, Sajid Husainf, Cita Rosita Sigit Prakoeswag, Mahesh Shahh, & Krishna Bahadur Tamangi. Leprosy Review; 2021; 92; 1; 29-37
- Blood RNA signature RISK4LEP predicts leprosy years before clinical onset. Maria Tió-Coma, Szymon M. Kiełbasaba, Susan J.F. van den Eeden, Hailiang Mei, Johan Chandra Roy, Jacco Wallinga, Marufa Khatun, Sontosh Soren, Abu Sufian Chowdhury, KhorshedAlam, Anouk van Hooij, Jan Hendrik Richardus, Annemieke Geluk. EBioMedicine 68 (2021) 103379.
- The trajectory of illness and the pattern of care seeking by leprosy patients in a leprosy endemic district of Bangladesh. Mohammad Monjurul Karim, Ari Probandari, Hasnat Alamgir, Khorshed Alam & Adi Utarini. Leprosy Review; 2021; 92; 3; 287-297