Dr Joydeepa Darlong
Dr Joydeepa Darlong
Head of Knowledge Management
Dr Joydeepa Darlong (MBBS, MD) is the Head of Knowledge Management for The Leprosy Mission Trust India. She oversees our research domain - including the Stanley Browne Laboratory lab, as well as our social science, and operational research in India. She also oversees the Training activities, and Monitoring and Evaluation of our projects in India.
List of publications
- Darlong, Joydeepa; Govindasamy, Karthikeyan; Daniel, Amrita; Characteristics of children with leprosy: Factors associated with delay in disease diagnosis. Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology 88, 337-341 (2022)
- Pitchaimani, G; Sampathkumar, S; Darlong, J; Disease Disruption among People Affected by Leprosy; Indian Journal of Leprosy; 94, 23-31, (2022).
- Putri, Annisa Ika; de Sabbata, Kevin; Agusni, Regitta I; Alinda, Medhi Denisa; Darlong, Joydeepa; De Barros, Barbara; Walker, Stephen L; Zweekhorst, Marjolein BM; Peters, Ruth MH; Understanding leprosy reactions and the impact on the lives of people affected: An exploration in two leprosy endemic countries PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases. 2022 Jun; 16(6): e0010476.
- Madhvi Ahuja, Itu Singh, Mallika Lavania, Vinay Kumar Pathak, Joydeepa Darlong, Ravindra P Turankar, S. Hembrom, Shoor Veer Singh, Utpal Sengupt., Ofloxacin resistance in multibacillary new leprosy cases from Purulia, West Bengal: a threat to effective secondary line treatment for rifampicin-resistant leprosy cases. Journal of Global Antimicrobial Resistance 30, 282-285 (2022).
- Darlong, Joydeepa; Govindasamy, Karthikeyan; Ilozumba, Onaedo; Choudhury, Sopna; Shrivastva, Anjali; Griffiths, Frances; Watson, Samuel; Sartori, Jo; Lilford, Richard; An Evaluation Protocol of ‘Replicability Model’ project for detection and treatment of leprosy and related disability in Chhattisgarh, India. in press - medRxiv (2022)
- Roberts, H; Mahato, J; Govindasamy, K; Darlong, J; Raju, MS; A study on Depression using PHQ9 among Patients Attending Outpatient Department of a Tertiary Care Leprosy Hospital in the City of Kolkata, West Bengal. Indian Journal of Leprosy 94 227-235 (2022)
- Govindasamy, Karthikeyan; Jacob, Immanuel; Solomon, Raju Moturu; Darlong, Joydeepa; Burden of depression and anxiety among leprosy affected and associated factors - A cross sectional study from India. PLoS Negl Trop Dis . 2021 Jan 22;15(1):e0009030
- De Barros, Barbara; Lambert, Saba M; Negera, Edessa; De Arquer, Guillermo Robert; Sales, Anna M; Darlong, Joydeepa; Dias, Vivianne LA; Rozario, Benjamin Jewel; Pai, Vivek V; Alinda, Medhi Denisa; An assessment of the reported impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on leprosy services using an online survey of practitioners in leprosy referral centres. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 115, 1456-1461, (2021)
- Darlong, Joydeepa; Self-care in leprosy at the front line. Leprosy Review 92, 356-365 (2021)
- Lavania, Mallika; Darlong, J; Singh, Itu; Ahuja, Madhvi; Turankar, RP; Pathak, Vinay Kumar; Kumar, Archana; Nathan, Rajeev; Sengupta, U; Analysis of bacteriological Index between fixed multidrug therapy and new WHO recommended alternative regimen with ofloxacin, minocycline and clofazimine of rifampicin resistant cases from the hospitals of The Leprosy Mission, India Journal of global antimicrobial resistance 23, 275-277 (2020)
- De Barros, Barbara; Lambert, Saba M; Shah, Mahesh; Pai, Vivek V; Darlong, Joydeepa; Rozario, Benjamin Jewel; Alinda, Medhi Denisa; Sales, Anna M; Doni, Shimelis; Hagge, Deanna A; Methotrexate and prednisolone study in erythema nodosum leprosum (MaPs in ENL) protocol: a double-blind randomised clinical trial. BMJ Open. 2020 Nov 17;10(11):e037700. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2020-037700. PMID: 33203627; PMCID: PMC7674097
- Darlong, Joydeepa; Govindharaj, Pitchaimani; Parents’ attitude towards their children and adolescents affected by leprosy in an endemic district in West Bengal, India. Leprosy Review, 91, 282-290 (2020)
- Darlong, Joydeepa; Govindharaj, Pitchaimani; Mahato, Bhabananda; Lockwood, Diana; Walker, Stephen L; Health-related quality of life associated with erythema nodosum leprosum in Purulia, West Bengal, India. Leprosy Review 91, 1, 100-107 (2020)
- Karthikeyan Govindasamy, N. R. Raja, Pankaj Gupta, Gaurav Anand, Premal Das, Famkima Darlong, Joydeepa Darlong; Computer assisted customized footwear and traditional micro-cellular rubber (MCR) footwear to reduce recurrence of ulcer for patients with loss of sensation due to leprosy. Leprosy Review, 91, 4, 383-392 (2020)
- Lockwood, Diana NJ; Lambert, Saba; Srikantam, Aparna; Darlong, Joydeepa; Pai, VV; Butlin, C Ruth; de Barros, Barbara; Negera, Edessa; Walker, Stephen L; Three drugs are unnecessary for treating paucibacillary leprosy—A critique of the WHO guidelines. PLoS neglected tropical diseases 13, 10, e0007671 (2019)
- Lavania, Mallika; Darlong, Joydeepa; Reddy, Abhishek; Ahuja, Madhvi; Singh, Itu; Turankar, RP; Sengupta, U; Successful treatment of rifampicin resistant case of leprosy by WHO recommended ofloxacin and minocycline regimen. Leprosy Review; 2019; 90; 4; 456-459; DOI: 10.47276/lr.90.4.456
- Lavania, Mallika; Singh, Itu; Turankar, Ravindra P; Ahuja, Madhvi; Pathak, Vinay; Sengupta, Utpal; Das, Loretta; Kumar, Archana; Darlong, Joydeepa; Nathan, Rajeev; Molecular detection of multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium leprae from Indian leprosy patients. Journal of Global Antimicrobial Resistance 12, 214-219 (2018)
- Turankar, Ravindra P; Lavania, Mallika; Singh, Itu; Singh, Vikram; Ahuja, Madhvi; Pathak, Vinay Kumar; Jakhmola, Prashant; Das, Loretta; Darlong, Joydeepa; Hembrom, Ujjwal; Paucibacillary Leprosy: Reappraisal using Ziehl-Neelsen staining of slit skin smears and 16S rRNA Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction of nasal swabs. Leprosy Review 89, 3, 272-279 (2018)
- Govindharaj, P; Srinivasan, S; Darlong, J; Quality of life of people affected with leprosy disability living in purulia West Bengal; Int J Health Sci Res 8, 2, 221-5 (2018)
- Walker, Stephen L; Sales, Anna M; Butlin, C Ruth; Shah, Mahesh; Maghanoy, Armi; Lambert, Saba M; Darlong, Joydeepa; Rozario, Benjamin Jewel; Pai, Vivek V; Balagon, Marivic; A leprosy clinical severity scale for erythema nodosum leprosum: An international, multicentre validation study of the ENLIST ENL Severity Scale; PLoS neglected tropical diseases, 11, 7, e0005716 (2017)
- Darlong, Joydeepa; Govindharaj, Pitchaimani; Darlong, Famkima; Mahato, Narayanan; A study of untreated leprosy affected children reporting with Grade 2 disability at a referral centre in West Bengal, India; Leprosy Review, 88, 3, 298-305 (2017)
- Lockwood, Diana NJ; Darlong, Joydeepa; Govindharaj, Pitchaimani; Kurian, Royce; Sundarrao, Pamidipani; John, Annamma S; AZALEP a randomized controlled trial of azathioprine to treat leprosy nerve damage and Type 1 reactions in India: Main findings; PLoS neglected tropical diseases, 11, 3, e0005348 (2017)
- Govindharaj, Pitchaimani; Mani, Suresh; Darlong, Joydeepa; John, Annama S; Acceptance and satisfaction of micro-cellular rubber ready-made footwear among patients with insensitive feet due to leprosy; Leprosy Review, 88, 3, 381-390 (2017)
- Darlong J, Govindharaj P, Charles DE, Menzies A, Mani S. Experiences with Thalidomide for Erythema Nodosum Leprosum – a retrospective study. Lepr Rev. 2016;87:211–20.
- Walker SL, Darlong J,Sales AM, Butlin CR, Shah M, Maghanoy A, Lambert SM, et al. A leprosy clinical severity scale for erythema nodosum leprosum: An international, multicentre validation study of the ENLIST ENL (Erythema Nodosum Leprosum) Severity Scale. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 11(7): e0005716. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0005716
- Darlong J. Strongyloides hyper infection in a steroid dependent leprosy patient. Leprosy Review; 2016; 87; 4; 536-542; DOI: 10.47276/lr.87.4.536
- Darlong J, Govindharaj P, Darlong F, Mahato N. A study of untreated leprosy affected children reporting with Grade 2 disability at a referral centre in West Bengal, India. Leprosy Review; 2017; 88; 3; 298-305; DOI: 10.47276/lr.88.3.298
- Govindharaj, Pitchaimani & Srinivasan, Sampath Kumar & Darlong, Joydeepa & Mahato, Bhabananda & Acharya, Premendra. (2018). A New Instrument to Measure Leprosy Internalised Stigma: The Leprosy Internalised Stigma Scale (LISS). Leprosy Review; 2018; 89; 3; 242-255; DOI: 10.47276/lr.89.3.242
- Chandler, David J; Hansen, Kristian S; Mahato, Bhabananda; Darlong, Joydeepa; John, Annamma; Lockwood, Diana NJ; Household costs of leprosy reactions (ENL) in rural India PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2015 Jan 15;9(1):e0003431. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0003431. PMID: 25590638; PMCID: PMC4295874.