Dr Abu Sufian Chowdhury
Dr Abu Sufian Chowdhury
Dr Abu Sufian Chowdhury is a clinical researcher from Bangladesh with both quantitative and qualitative research experience. He is the Research Coordinator overseeing the Leprosy Field Research in Bangladesh (LFRB) Program which is based in North-West Bangladesh.
Dr Sufian completedhis Bachelor’s in Medicine and Bachelor’s in Surgery (MBBS) from Rangpur Medical College in Bangladesh in 2012. He is completing his Master of Public Health (MPH) theses from North South University of Bangladesh. After qualifying as a doctor, Dr Sufian worked at LAMB Hospital as a Medical Officer before starting work in The Leprosy Mission International-Bangladesh (TLMI-B) Rural Health Program in 2017. Alongside his work as a field medical officer, he worked on a number of studies including MALTALEP, IDEAL, COLEP and COCOA.
Currently, he is the co-PI on two international, multi-centre studies, both seeking to stop the transmission of leprosy:
- The INDIGO study, which is being conducted in collaboration with two Dutch research institutions - Erasmus MC and Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC). The INDIGO study seeks to develop and trial a leprosy diagnostic test using human leprosy biomarkers.
- The Stop Leprosy: PEP++ study
- Anouk van Hooij, Susan J.F. van den Eeden, Marufa Khatun, Santosh Soren, Kees L.M.C. Franken, Johan Chandra Roy, Khorshed Alam, Abu Sufian Chowdhury, Jan Hendrik Richardus, Annemieke Geluk. BCG-induced immunity profiles in household contacts of leprosy patients differentiate between protection and disease. Vaccine. 2021 Dec 8;39(50):7230-7237. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2021.10.027. Epub 2021 Oct 20. PMID: 34688497.
- Maria Tio-Coma, Szymon M. Kie»basa, Susan J.F. van den Eeden, Hailiang Mei, Johan Chandra Roy, Jacco Walling, Marufa Khatun, Sontosh Soren, Abu Sufian Chowdhury, Khorshed Alam, Anouk van Hooij, Jan Hendrik Richardus, Annemieke Geluk. Blood RNA signature RISK4LEP predicts leprosy years before clinical onset. BioMedicine 68 (2021) 103379
- Anouk van Hooij, Elisa M.Tjon Kon Fat, Danielle de Jong, Marufa Khatun, Santosh Soren, Abu Sufian Chowdhury, Johan Chandra Roy, Khorshed Alam, Jong-Pill Kim, Jan Hendrik Richardus, Annemieke Geluk, Paul L.A.M. Corstjens. Prototype multi-biomarker test for point-of-care leprosy diagnostics. iScience. 2020 Dec 29;24(1):102006. doi: 10.1016/j.isci.2020.102006. PMID: 33490914; PMCID: PMC7807156.
- van Hooij A, Tió-Coma M, Verhard EM, Khatun M, Alam K, Tjon Kon Fat E, de Jong D, Abu Sufian Chowdhury,, Corstjens P, Richardus JH, Geluk A. Household Contacts of Leprosy Patients in Endemic Areas Display a Specific Innate Immunity Profile. Front Immunol. 2020 Aug 11;11:1811. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2020.01811. PMID: 32849645; PMCID: PMC7431626.
- Anouk van Hooij, Susan van den Eeden, Renate Richardus, Elisa Tjon Kon Fat, Louis Wilson, Kees L.M.C. Franken, Roel Faber, Merufa Khatun, Khorshed Alam, Abu Sufian Chowdhury, Jan Hendrik Richardus, Paul Corstjens, Annemieke Geluk. Application of new host biomarker profiles in quantitative point-of-care tests facilitates leprosy diagnosis in the field. EBioMedicine 47 (2019) 301–308